70年代前半、モータウンで、16歳にして伝説のジャズサックス奏者Sonny Stittとキーボード奏者のEddie Russらと共演、ツアーやレコーディングで70年代のほとんどをアメリカ、ヨーロッパで過ごす。
1980年、ロサンジェルスへ移ると、Rodney Trotter / Kevin Dorsey / Greg Williams (Switch) / Nate Thomas / Jim Mackey and Alan Lindgren (Neil Diamond)らとファンクミュージックシーンでも演奏、レコーディング、作曲と大いに活躍した。
1988年にオーストラリアに移住し、世界に名だたるミュージシャンたちと共演：the Party Boys（the EaglesのJoe Walshがゲスト出演) / Kevin Borich（Renee GeyerとMarc Hunterがゲスト出演) / Marcia Hines / Christine Anu / SWOOP / Professor Groove & The Booty Affair / Coloured Stone / Deniz TekのバンドThe Soul Movers など。
音楽祭にも多数出演：Byron Bay Blues Festival 2004 (Harry Manx – Canada) / 2005 (Gibson All Star Band – USA) / 2006 (Marlene Cummins – Australia) / Queenstown International Jazz Festival NZ 2005 (Elana Stone – Australia) / Festival In The Square / Taiwan 2005 (Colin Offord – Australia) / Woodford Folk Festival 2001 (Coloured Stone – Australia) 2014 (Keyim Ba – Australia) / Broadbeach Blues Festival 2012 (Darcy Perry Band – New Zealand)など。
SKiNBOW a new project from COLIN OFFORD & CALVIN WELCH
Keyim Ba "Temé"
Keyim Ba - "Ningue"
Colin Offord with drummer Calvin Welch. music on the beach
Datreats - Yeshe & The Groove Wizards (Set 2 Calvin Welch Drums)
Calvin Welch - Blues Festival 2017 Nouméa
Mixing the Beats for Arabesk ! #Arabeskmusic #Arabesk #calvinwelch #drumsticks #Worldmusic #drummer
Originally from the Motown state of Michigan USA, by age 16 in the early 70’s Calvin was playing drums and percussion with jazz saxophone legend Sonny Stitt and keyboardist Eddie Russ. He spent most of the 70s touring and record- ing around the US and Europe. Moving to LA in 1980 he became involved in the Funk scene playing, recording and writing with Rodney Trotter, Kevin Dorsey, Greg Williams (Switch), Nate Thomas, Jim Mackey and Alan Lindgren (Neil Diamond).
Since moving to Australia in 1988 he has played with the who’s who of the Australian music scene including the Party Boys featuring Joe Walsh from the Eagles, Kevin Borich featuring Renee Geyer and Marc Hunter, Marcia Hines, Christine Anu, SWOOP, Professor Groove & The Booty Affair and Coloured Stone. He has performed at major music festivals with various artists including: Byron Bay Blues Festival 2004 (Harry Manx – Can- ada), 2005 (Gibson All Star Band – USA), 2006 (Marlene Cummins – Australia); Queenstown International Jazz Festival NZ 2005 (Elana Stone – Australia); Festival In The Square, Taiwan 2005 (Colin Offord – Australia); Woodford Folk Festival 2001 (Coloured Stone – Australia) 2014 (Keyim Ba – Australia), Broadbeach Blues Festival 2012 (Darcy Perry Band – NZ). During 2009/10 Calvin toured Australia, US, South Africa, Germany and UK with indie/soul/punk band Philadelphia Grand Jury playing major festivals and venues. He also toured Spain in September 2010 with Deniz Tek’s band The Soul Movers. Calvin is renowned for his energetic performances and is comfortable playing any style of music from traditional African drumming to punk rock.
Arabesk – Drummer and foundation member, world/ jazz/soul quartet. Played Sumida Jazz Tokyo Japan August 2016, Takatsuki Jazz Festival, Osaka Japan, 2011 and 2015. Other recent highlights include Clarence Jazz Festival 2016, Palm Creek Folk Festival 2016 and Manly Jazz Festival 2016. Part of the winning songwriting team that won Best Instrumental Track at The Australian Songwriters Awards 2011. Released third album of original music in 2016. www.arabesk.com.au
• Keyim Ba – Drummer/Percussionist for live shows including Woodford Festival 2014/15 and various venues in Sydney including Camelot, The Basement, Venue 505 and regional NSW. Booked to play Vivid Sydney June 2017. www.keyimba.com
• Marlene Cummins – Drummer/Percussionist for live shows including Yabun Festival 2014 & 2017 and various venues in Sydney including The Basement, Venue 505 and The Vanguard. www.marlenecummins.com
• Isaiah B Brunt – Drummer/Percussionist for live shows. Played Christchurch Jazz Festival 2016. www.isaiahbbrunt
• Yeshe – Drummer/Percussionist for live shows and featured artist on “Roots & Wings” Album. Launch Tour East Coast Australia including
Bellingen Global Festival Oct 2011. Peats Ridge Festival Jan 2012. BMMF 2015. www.yeshemusic.com
• Colin Offord – Drummer and Percussionist for live shows and recordings over many years. Performed at many festivals in Australia and
overseas with Colin including “Festival in The Square” Taipei. www.colinofford.com.au
• Bruce Mathiske’s Rhythm Express – Percussionist for Concert Hall Tour of Australia June 2011 – February 2012. www.mathiske.com.au
• Carl Orr – Drummer and organizer of Sydney dates for London-based Carl’s Australian launch of his jazz/ rock CD “Emergence”. Gigs at The
Basement, Club 505, Lizottes and Hawkesbury Jazz Club. www.carlorr.com
• Darcy Perry Blues Band – Drummer for premier NZ bluesmen Darcy Perry’s Australian gigs including Cloud Studio’s Private Party,
January 2011, Blues on Broadbeach Festival, May 2011. www.darcyperry.co.nz
• Sean Mackenzie – Drummer for live shows and featured artist on Sean’s Album “Brasil”. www.sean-mackenzie.com
• Fat Back 4Way/ Professor Groove/ Confection /SWOOP – Regular drumming, percussion gigs and recording since 1997@ major venues,
festivals, corporate functions. www.onestopfunkshop.com
• Michael Wheatley – Drummer/Percussionist for various projects over 10 years. Funk/RnB/Soul/, Recording & performances, including “Me &
My Dancy” single & video clip and “Nut n Butter Party” EP. www.nutnbutterstudio.com
• Soul Movers – Deniz Tek’s (Radio Birdman) global ensemble of musicians covering classic soul sounds. Drummer for Australian Shows
2009/13 and 2016. Toured Spain September 2010. www.myspace.com/thesoulmovers
• Philadelphia Grand Jury – Indie/Soul/Pop band. Drummer Sept 09 – Sept 10. Numerous Festivals around Australia 09/10 including
Laneway/s, Splendour in the Grass, Southbound, also South Africa Oppikoppi Festival, showcase gigs New York, Los Angeles. Based in London, toured Germany, UK for 5 months.